Corona Virus Update
Sadly, the Hall is now closed in accordance with the Government guidance for Lockdown/Tier 4: Stay at Home.
Stedham Memorial Hall
Stedham Memorial Hall is conveniently located just minutes from the bustling town of Midhurst in the heart of the beautiful village of Stedham, close to the village green. There is a designated parking area outside and additional parking available if needed.
Stedham Village Hall has a large main hall with staging available if required and an adjacent, smaller room which can be used as part of the hall or partitioned off using a sound-proof sliding door. There is a fully equipped kitchen with serving hatch. Audio visual equipment is available by arrangement.
The hall has a number of regular users from both within the village and from the surrounding area. It is available for hire at weekends or during the week for parties, dinners, classes, meetings and performances and offers an attractive, affordable venue for up to 70 guests seated or informal gatherings of up to 100.
Stedham Memorial Hall, also known as Stedham Village Hall, is a charity* run by a management committee whose members are trustees of the organisation.
*Registered Charity Number 305427
In the early 20th Century Mr John Scrimgeour, a major local benefactor, constructed a small rifle range. This building was also used for dances, known as ‘sixpenny hops’, with mats covering the compressed soil and illuminated by candle lanterns. Stedham WI, one of the oldest branches in the country, first met in the hall in 1919. The original building was demolished in 1924 and a new hall, known initially as the WI Hall, built by the Scrimgeour family. It was renamed in 1947 in memory of the fallen of the two world wars and became Stedham Memorial Hall under the management of the Trustees.
One of Stedham’s best known residents was Commander Norman Douglas Holbrook who, at the age of 26 won the VC in the Royal Navy when, on 13th December 1914, he commanded the first submarine raid into the Dardenelles. He was in fact the first submariner to be awarded the VC. The small meetings room is dedicated to Commander Holbrook.
In 2005, following a huge local fund raising effort, the hall underwent a major refurbishment including a fully equipped kitchen. In subsequent years further improvements have been made including new lighting, seating, acoustic panels and audio-visual equipment. The hall now provides a light and airy venue for all sorts of small and medium sized gatherings.
We are easily found, a couple of miles West of Midhurst just off the A272.
Stedham Village Hall